FIFA 18 TOTY UPDATE 1
The first Team of the Year update from EA Sports is finally here, with the team unveiling the squads three attacking forwards.
15 players were nominated last week but only three can lead the line.
And following the community vote and EA Sport’s own decision, it’s been decided that the FIFA 18 TOTY forwards will include Tottenham Hotspur’s Harry Kane, Lionel Messi from Barcelona and Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo.
Kane is rated 96 overall, 10 point up over his base level 86 card, while Lionel Messi jumps from 93 overall to 98.
FIFA 18 cover star Ronaldo maintain’s his crown as the games best player, jumping from 94 to 99 overall in the games Ultimate Team mode.
In FIFA 17, the attackers were available for 48 hours from the Monday they were announced, however, EA Sports has advised that the forwards will only be available for 24hrs from 6pm GMT this evening.
How this will impact the game and when we might see the next players remains to be seen, but in all probability, stay tuned for another reveal, likely the midfielders, at 2PM tomorrow.
ORIGINAL STORY – FIFA 18 fans are gearing up for the release of the games new Team of the Year (TOTY) squad, which EA Sports should be releasing at some point later today.
Unlike past years, the process by which EA Sports decided the final 11 players for the TOTY has been completely different.
For those who need reminding, or don’t want to read the full details further down, the gist is that the 55 nominees will be whittled down to a final squad based on a new voting procedure.
This has been decided by a collection of “media, athletes and EA SPORTS FIFA community members”, predominantly though, it’s your favourite FIFA YouTubers.
Of course, EA Sports have the biggest say in who makes the team, but still, it’s a refreshing way to approach the Team of the Year in lieu of past years where the team has coincided with the announcement of the official FIFPro World XI.
EA Sports haven’t specified when they’ll announce the new FIFA 18 Team of the Year, but based on past events – for instance, the games TOTW line up or past events like the FIFA 18 Ultimate Scream – announcements are made at around 3pm in the afternoon, usually from the official Twitter account.
Then later today, we could see TOTY go live in the game at 6pm GMT, in line with EA Sports usual release times for new game updates.
For a reminder of which players have been nominated, take a look at the gallery below:
Here’s a reminder of how EA Sports announced the news and the core details you need to know:
“The best footballers of 2017 will be named in EA SPORTS FIFA Team of The Year! For the first time ever, the EA SPORTS FIFA Team of The Year (TOTY) will be voted on by a carefully curated list of media, athletes and EA SPORTS FIFA community members, representing the millions of EA SPORTS FIFA players all over the world.
“The TOTY, consisting of three attackers, three midfielders, four defenders and one goalkeeper in a 4-3-3 formation, will be made up of ballot votes accounting for 60 per cent of the total vote and EA SPORTS which makes up the other 40 per cent.
“Follow along as votes are revealed with #TOTYVote.
“The final Team of The Year will be announced starting on January 15th, with special TOTY player items available in packs for a limited time in FIFA 18 Ultimate Team and FIFA Mobile.”
Who’s on the Fifa 18 TOTY nominees list?
Gianluigi Buffon – Juventus
David De Gea – Manchester United
Hugo Lloris – Tottenham
Keylor Navas – Real Madrid
Jan Oblak – Atletico Madrid
David Alaba – Bayern Munich
Jordi Alba – Barcelona
Marcos Alonso – Chelsea
Dani Alves – PSG
Cesar Azpilicueta – Chelsea
Leonardo Bonucci – AC Milan
Dani Carvajal – Real Madrid
Diego Godin – Atletico Madrid
Joshua Kimmich – Bayern Munich
Kalidou Koulibaly – Napoli
Filipe Luis – Atletico Madrid
David Luiz – Chelsea
Marcelo – Real Madrid
Gerard Pique – Barcelona
Sergio Ramos – Real Madrid
Alex Sandro – Juventus
Thiago Silva – PSG
Antonio Valencia – Manchester United
Jan Vertonghen – Tottenham
Kyle Walker – Manchester City
Thiago Alcantara – Bayern Munich
Dele Alli – Tottenham
Casemiro – Real Madrid
Kevin De Bruyne – Manchester City
Paulo Dybala – Juventus
Christian Eriksen – Tottenham
Emil Forsberg – Leipzig
Andres Iniesta – Barcelona
Isco – Real Madrid
N’Golo Kante – Chelsea
Toni Kroos – Real Madrid
Luka Modric – Real Madrid
Radja Nainggolan – Roma
Arjen Robben – Bayern Munich
Marco Verratti – PSG
Sergio Aguero – Manchester City
Edinson Cavani – PSG
Philippe Coutinho – Barcelona
Antoine Griezmann – Atletico Madrid
Eden Hazard – Chelsea
Harry Kane – Tottenham
Robert Lewandowski – Bayern Munich
Romelu Lukaku – Manchester United
Kylian Mbappe – PSG
Dries Mertens – Napoli
Lionel Messi – Barcelona
Neymar – PSG
Cristiano Ronaldo – Real Madrid
Alexis Sanchez – Arsenal
Luis Suarez – Barcelona