The Premier League has today announced their contenders for the Premier League December Player of the Month award and this month we’re packed full of dynamic midfielders, solid defenders and Europe’s top goalscorer in 2017.
Up for the award in December is Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso, Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard, Manchester City centre back Nicolas Otamendi, West Ham’s Marko Arnautovic, Leicester’s Rhiad Mahrez, Spur’s Harry Kane and finally, Liverpool’s duo Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino
Here’s a quick reminder why these players have been picked above all others:
• Harry Kane is the Premier League’s top scorer this season with 18 goals, but eight of those came during December, including successive hat-tricks against Burnley and Southampton
• Alonso helped Antonio Conte’s Chelsea to four league clean sheets and the wing-back scored two goals in the process
• Lingard and Arnautovic both turned on the style to score five goals a piece for Manchester United and West Ham
• Liverpool duo Roberto Firmino and Mo Salah helped ensure Liverpool’s unbeaten seven-match streak during December, also scoring a combined 11 goals
• Rhiad Mahrez has turned his form around since the appointment of Claude Puel’s scoring three goals
• Otamendi continued his remarkable progress under Pep Guardiola by adding four clean sheets and two goals to his tally for the year
You can vote for your Premier League Player of the Month on the link below, but FIFA 18 players – on PS4, Xbox One, PC and now Nintendo Switch – will be keeping a keen eye out as they hope for another excellent Ultimate Team card to obtain.
For those that don’t know, FIFA 18 gets involved with the Player of the Month celebrations by revealing a special FIFA Ultimate Team card with increased stats to reflect the achievements of the Premier League Player of the Month Winner.
There’s normally a new SBC (squad building challenge) for FIFA 18 players to complete to obtain this special card.
The last POTM award was given to Liverpool’s Mo Salah in November and players still have some time to acquire his POTM card via the in-game SBC’s before time runs out.
Unfortunately, the only other way to obtain the card is through the in-game transfer market, but normally at extortionately high-prices.
It will also be particularly interesting should Mohamed Salah win again this month, as he is the only player marked as a ‘FIFA 18 One to Watch‘ player this year.
For anyone who don’t know, OTW players dynamically upgrade and have an opportunity to increase in ratings throughout the season.
If you have a Ones to Watch item in your club, its ratings will automatically match that of the players latest Team of the Week, Man of the Match, European Team of the Tournament, Hero or Record Breaker In-Forms. The better the player performs in real life, the higher their ratings become!
This latest FIFA 18 announcement comes ahead of what many Ultimate Team experts believe will be the release of the games Team of the Year players.
Traditionally, EA Sports has revealed the first majorly upgraded player items at the beginning of each New Year, typically coinciding with the announcement of the FIFPro World XI.
However, FIFPro decided last year to move up their awards gala called “The Best FIFA Football Awards” from January 2018 to October 2017.
It’s not clear how EA Sports will approach it, but we suspect the release date should remain largely the same.
In the case of FIFA 17, the players were revealed on January 9th and slowly released in packs over the course of a few days, starting with the forwards, followed by midfielders, defenders and the keeper.
The FIFA 18 team will likely be released in the same way, with EA Sports probably making an announcement as early as today (Friday 5th January), but more likely on Monday 8th January.
Take a quick look at the gallery above for the players and stats we could see in this years FIFA 18 TOTY squad.